Performance Degredation of Veritas 9.1

Currently have an issue with Backup Exec slowly degrading performance on large backups. The current setup is the following:

Source server (SS) is a Dual Opteron 2.4G w/3G Memory, Win2000 SP4. Attached to this is a Storcase which the data is being backed up. Connection between both devices is controlled by LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter.

Traffic is transported over Cat6 to a Cisco 2970 Gig switch and then transferred over to the backup server.

The backup server is a Dual AMD Athlon MP 2400+ w/2G Memory, Win2000 SP4, Veritas 9.1 SP1. The backup server (BS) has an Adaptec iSCSI 7211c which is connected to a REO 4000 (CAT6) and a Adaptec SCSI 39160/3960D Ultra 160 connecting to a Dell PowerVault 132T.

When backing up a large backup job i.e. 500Gb backup the performance on the BS slowly degrades over time stating out backing up for approx 1-2 hours at the full bandwidth of around 1350Mbs. After sometime the transfer rate begins to degrade. The processors on the BS are being pegged at around 90-100%. The two main ‘Process’ showing are the ‘System’, utilizing in between 40-70% utilization of the processors and the ‘bengine.exe’ using anywhere from 20-40% of the processors. The current backup now is approx 500Gb and has been running for 44:20:00 w/158.0 Mb/min throughput.

File swapping does not seem to be an issue being that following figures are current approximations of performance being there is almost 1G of available memory at all times during backups (The BS is on a 0+1 SCSI Drives). This was originally 1G of total physical memory and was paging to the disk during backups but since adding another 1G this has not been an issue. I also went through Microsoft Article ID: 304101 for issues with unsuccessful backups for large system volume.

Physical Memory:
      Total                  2096108
      Available             986092
      System Cache    1794540

Kernel Memory
      Total                    300960
      Paged                   279776
      Nonpaged              21212

Commit Charge
      Total                    539176
      Limit                  4100748
      Peak                     555936
      
When looking at the processes I have noticed the following but am not sure if the issue is this point in the process.

Bengine.exe      I/O Reads- 27,148,942   I/O Writes- 14,120,225
                          I/O Read bytes- 506,148,210,256  I/O Write Bytes- 462,656,248,558

I am not getting any performance loss across the LAN or any errors or dropped packets from what the 2970 Cisco is telling me and the Tx and Rx match on both termination points from the Cisco switch to both devices when referencing Tx to Rx from one device to the other (BS to SS)

The BS is set to be running in background services mode, which I would assume is correct???

The iSCSI is a separate private network of 10.10.1.1 and 10.10.1.2. The only question I would have on that is would the gateway on the iSCSI be better set to the BS or the REO but I do not believe that would make any significant difference. Currently the gateway is set to the BS server.

Once the initial job is completed of backing up the SS to ‘backup to disk/folder’ a ‘Duplicate to Tape’ job occurs. This job runs from the REO 4000 back to the BS server to the Dell PowerVault. This job has no issues with performance getting the full/maximum bandwidth from source to destination. The CPU’s operate at ‘normal’ parameters when this job is running.

Most of the data is archived data being that the facility is a DR facility for banks and check/item processing for several banks. Only about 30% of the total backup is small ‘check images’. Most software backup is Bankware and or Bisys data ‘Archive Data’. I am currently running AOFO and the remote agent on the SS. I have turned of AOFO with the same results in backup performance.

The SS does not have the performance issues that the BS is having. Processes are well under maximum values and no stress is being applied during these backups on the SS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
pjmac28Director of Information TechnologyAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
Cyber-DudeCommented:
this might be some help to all you guys out there which are having problems with this power calibration error.what i know is that the cd burning engine which comes with xp was developed by adaptec (i might be wrong so please dont hold me to it).so heres what to do and most of your problems hopefully will be solved.this is the easiest way to tell everyone.


1 on desktop click start
2 select control panel
3 click on administrative tools
4 click on services
5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
8 make sure you click APPLY

thats it folks.you should notice that nero starts alot faster aswell

please leave any feedback here just to see if it worked for you or not.
hopefully it will thanks matt3678

Got it from:
http://www.gidforums.com/t-1805.html

Cyber
0
 
Cyber-DudeCommented:
Sorry;

wrong post...

:)

Cyber
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.