Bind DNS Server seems to be limited to 50 hosts

I'm running a minimal install of redhat 9 with Bind 8 and webmin (for the customer) as a dns server. (times 2 in two locations)

Currently we have 50 domain names held here, but when I went to add number 51, this domain would not transfer to the slave DNS server, nor can I dig that domain..

I have tried increasing the maximum open files setting, the maximum data memory usage etc. etc. but with no result..

In the log files there is the following:-

Nov  1 14:14:42 ns1 named[1163]: zone example.com.au/IN: loading master file /var/named/example.com.au.hosts: unexpected end of input
Nov  2 12:03:20 ns1 named[1163]: dns_rdata_fromtext: /var/named/example.com.au.hosts:13: near eol: unexpected end of input


All existing domains are still working fine and I'm sure I've missed something simple.

Cheers
Zaneyfunster
LVL 2
zaneyfunsterAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

jlevieCommented:
This isn't a matter of the open files limit, but rather a problem with /var/named/example.com.au.hosts. At or around line 13 of that file there's an error that is the cause of the problem. If you post the contents of that file we should be able to tell you what's wrong with it.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
zaneyfunsterAuthor Commented:
Hey jlevie..

I'm really sorry about the delay, I've been overseas...

Yes you are correct..
I was using Webmin to generate the hosts files and something had gone wrong, it was creating a really dodgy MX record on line 13.

I manually created a host file, and it worked, re-installed webmin and it is now back to normal and working fine.

I should have spotted the problem but at the time I was in a state of panic ;o)

Cheers
Shane
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Linux

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.