I am not really a SQL or DB Admin... But I am working on setting up a custom, silent install of SQL 2000 for deployment. I have been researching and have found that you need to set up a config file of sorts for the installation (like an answer file).. But I am not sure how to put this into use.
Here are my installation procedures of SQL 2000:
1. Install Database Server
2. New Instance of Database Server is installed on LOCAL workstation
3. Create new Instance of SQL Server
4. Name and Company Info is entered
5. Install Server and Client Tools
6. Accept default Instance Name
7. Custom Install
8. Change Data Files location to custom Directory
9. Accept defaults (all components and sub-components should be installed)
10. The service needs to run under a specific username
11. Blank Password (not reccomended, but currently what we are doing)
12. Change Collation Settings to "Binary Order, for use with the 850 (Multilingual) Character Set"
13. Accept defaults for named pipes and tcp/ip sockets
14. Select “Processor License for” and set the number processors to “1”.
15. Finish installation
I am going to continue to research setting up the answer file, but I thought it would be a good idea to post here as this is where the experts are!