problem with a dell dimension 4300s, desktop model
Posted on 2004-11-02
hi all, i have a small problem with a dell and i'm coming here for some suggestions. a friend of
mine brought me this computer and his main complaint was it started to run really, really slow.
so i looked at it and he was correct, it takes a long, long time for it to boot to the xp desktop. so
i guessed he probably downloaded a virus and i started to do a fresh install of xp. during the format
and reinstallation of the xp files, i noticed the formatting took a little longer than usual and the
installation of the xp files take forever. here are some of the steps i've taken to diagnose this problem:
1. reseat the sdram
2. reseat the video card
3. reseat the cpu
4. replaced ide cables
5. used a spare hard drive to diagnose a possible defective original
6. used spare memory to try and diagnose possible defective memory
7. used spare cpu to try and diagnose possible defective cpu
8. used spare video card to try and diagnose possible defective video card.
9. reflashed the A04 bios to the A06 bios
after i've tried all the above, there is no improvement. has anyone ever run across a similar problem
with any other computer?