Hard-drive constantly writing
Posted on 2004-11-06
My hard disk is constantly writing data to disk at intervals of about 1.5 seconds. I cant figure out why its doing this.
Steps I have taken thus far:
1. Boot into safe mode. disk still writes data
2. Run Diskmon to confirm disk is writing. This was confirmed, Dismon shows writing activity every 1.5 seconds or so.
3. Run Filemon to determine what process is access\wiriting to what file. Filemon does not detect any activity. It stays blank unless I perform an action.
4. Perform a virus check in safe mode (the latest definition is installed)
5. Run ProcessExplorer to determine if any processes seem to be involved. I dont see any process who's activity seem to corrolate with the HD writing activity.
6. Confirmed that drive does not write when not in windows, ie, pause during boot, or boot into dos.
any ideas would be awesome! I'm just about ready to nuke my install.
Via chipset (KT400)
Windows XP Pro
2 Hitachis 80gb ATA100 each in RAID 0 configuration