Please bear with me.....this is my first time
I'v just installed Red Hat 9 on my system.
I did it in custom mode coz I wanted all development tools(perl modules to php and everything in between)
The installation went off fine. When I logged in first time, I created a default user as 'user'/'manav'/'manav2' (I tried \3 installations, each time using one of these users, but evrytime, the following problems occur)
Now the problems
1) As root, I did add few users thru
useradd -d /home/manav -n -p mypassword -g 700 manav
the gid 700 I had created before(-n for not creating a new group everytime)
When I log out of root and try to login as manav,it dioesnt accept me in, saying the password is wrong. I am only able to log in as root. I am not even able to login as 'users'/'manav'/'manav2' (the login which I created first tim at bootup.
- /etc/passwd and /etc/group show correct entries for gid etc.
- I even tried removing the enable-md5 for password and the /etc/passwd shows the correct
- i tried to su - as manav from root. It does properly. however, when i do a passwd then, it asks for the passwd and doesnt accept mypassword.
- In gnome(as root), through 'System-setting" -> "users and groups", I tried to change the password for user manav. when I do an ok and reselect properties for manav, it shows 5 asterisks.
- /etc/nologin doesnt exist
It seems to me that maybe somehow my system is configured to login only as root. I've tried the installaiton 3 times and same thing happens.