First this is my PC:
* Laptop ACER 801 XCI that has both NIC onboard (Broadcom 440x 10/100) and Wireless LAN Mini PCI 2100 (centrino).
* There are two OS working on the same PC with different partitions: Windows XP Pro and Linux Mepis (Debian).
* Intel PRO Wireless LAN 2100 works fine both in Windows XP Pro and Mepis Linux.
* NIC works fine in Mepis Linux (it receives assignment from DHCP server) and the LEDs at the back blink normally (green LED lights normally, yellow LED blinks as the traffic flows)
* BUT, the NIC does not work in Windows XP Pro (I did not change any hardware connection). LEDs do not light up - both the green one and yellow one. Strangely, after I switched out the PC (after running Linux) - both LEDs lights, but when I use Windows XP Pro, as soon as Windows XP Pro boots - the LEDs turns off.
The situation simply shows that there is no problem in the hardware side, but probably in the software side of Windows XP Pro. I simply do not know what may happen.
I have not done anything major in the laptop, except that I removed the Linux Mandrake, and replaced it with Mempis Linux.
What I've tried to work out (but without successul resolution):
* Disabled, then enabled the LAN in Windows XP Pro
* Powered down, and up the laptop
* Reset the router
* Uninstalled, and reinstalled the driver for the NIC
* Cycled "NIC Speed" from Auto, 100 Full Duplex, 100 Half Duplex, 10 Full Duplex, 10 Half duplex
* Replaced the ethernet cable
* Checked the virus list of my symantec is recently updated.
with no avail.
Any idea what may happen?