I have a home network where I have the following equipment:
- Efficient Networks Speedstream 6300 Internet Gateway
- DLink DI-704P Router with Print Server
I would like to run with both routers since the Dlink can provide print services if my main computer is turned off.
Originally I just had a plain DSL-to-ethernet modem with no LAN-side IP address I could see. Now that I have upgraded to the Speedstream 6300 which has a LAN side IP address (ie: 192.168.2.1) and LAN/WAN and ethernet ports, I am confused.
I need help on several fronts:
1. How do I connect the DLink to the Gateway (ie: which port do I plug my ethernet cable into on the Gateway ? Which port on the Dlink ? If I'm using the LAN/WAN port on the Gateway, do I config it as a LAN or WAN port ? )
2. What IP address do I set the DLINK to be ?
3. Where should I connect my computers (into the DLINK or the Gateway ?).
4. If I need to change the config on the box that my computer is not directly connected into, can I "reach thru", or do I need to be directly connected to the box in question ?
5. Any other recommendations ?