[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


Wireless roaming securuity without WPA or WEP

Posted on 2004-11-07
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-04-10
how can I enforce an acceptable level of encryption in wireless device's communication when the
device is "visiting" another network?  For example, if your wireless device "roams" from your network into another network where WEP or WPA is  Not enforced (or available!) how do you still make sure that your data communication is secure?

Any idea where can I find some information.

Thank you,

Question by:edward1979

Expert Comment

ID: 12520503
Well, for emails you could use PGP... this stands for Pretty good privacy and it can encrypt emails sent over a wireless network. You can download it at www.pgp.com .
LVL 79

Expert Comment

ID: 12520505
You can use a VPN back to your "home" network. This will protect your data regardless of the level of, or lack of, encryption over the air..
PPTP or IPSEC will work.

Author Comment

ID: 12520597
See, I think you miss understood me, for example I have a laptop and I am traveling from WPA/WEB encryption to another network which they don't have encryption and I want to use there network, but i want to make sure no one can intercept my connection and grab my data.
Get quick recovery of individual SharePoint items

Free tool – Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint, enables fast, easy restores of SharePoint sites, documents, libraries and lists — all with no agents to manage and no additional licenses to buy.

LVL 79

Expert Comment

ID: 12520617
Then don't use wireless. It's a simple as that.
If they don't even use the most rudementary WEP encryption, I definately would not even think about using that network to transfer sensitive information.
If they have a VPN server, then you could VPN to the server, then all traffic is on the wire from server to endpoint, and encrypted from server to you.

Author Comment

ID: 12520675
lrmoore: This is all about wireless Roaming security, you just clear the problem and solved another one....

Author Comment

ID: 12520682
envoguecomputers: How about if i want to secure every thing on my communication channel, how can I do that...  There should be away

Expert Comment

ID: 12525449
As has been said VPN is the way to go. You contorl the encrypion from your client to your network (IE Security).
You are not depending on somone else for part of your security that you may not know.  

Accepted Solution

modulo earned 0 total points
ID: 13032869
PAQed with no points refunded (of 125)

Community Support Moderator

Featured Post

 The Evil-ution of Network Security Threats

What are the hacks that forever changed the security industry? To answer that question, we created an exciting new eBook that takes you on a trip through hacking history. It explores the top hacks from the 80s to 2010s, why they mattered, and how the security industry responded.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

WARNING:   If you follow the instructions here, you will wipe out your VTP and VLAN configurations.  Make sure you have backed up your switch!!! I recently had some issues with a few low-end Cisco routers (RV325) and I opened a case with Cisco TA…
How to fix a SonicWall Gateway Anti-Virus firewall blocking automatic updates to apps like Windows, Adobe, Symantec, etc.
There's a multitude of different network monitoring solutions out there, and you're probably wondering what makes NetCrunch so special. It's completely agentless, but does let you create an agent, if you desire. It offers powerful scalability …
NetCrunch network monitor is a highly extensive platform for network monitoring and alert generation. In this video you'll see a live demo of NetCrunch with most notable features explained in a walk-through manner. You'll also get to know the philos…

873 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question