After searching the net for solutions to no use, I stumbled into EE and wish to try my luck here. Only got 125 points, so I'm sorry if the problem is worth more...
1. Installed Win2k on SATA disk, worked perfectly.
2. Added PATA disk, Installed WinXP Pro (norwegian). Dualboot worked perfectly. Used for several months.
3. Removed Win2k, Installed WinXP MCE (SP2, english) on SATA disk. Whenever choosing MCE in the bootscreen, it halts (No loading screen)
4. Removed PATA disk, XP MCE boots (after adding ntlder and such)
5. Tried diffrent HD boot priority, boot.ini edited on both disks. RAID controller activated in BIOS and tried to put SATA disk as slave to IDE0, then the PATA disk disappears. SATA disk as slave on IDE1, then the CD-Rom disappears.
6. Tried to install XP Pro on SATA disk, behaves the same way. (Win2k not tried again)
7. Tried to install XP Pro/XP MCE with only SATA disk connected, behaves the same way.
8. Tried to install GRUB to MBR (PATA disk?). Seems like if GRUB pointed to system partition on SATA disk, it started ntldr on PATA disk. If pointed to system partition on PATA disk, then it started the correct ntldr. (Had a friend 'helping' me out with this one) Anyways, this wasnt helping as booting the system on SATA disk halts on black screen...
Noticed something strange on the PATA disk, Partition Magic 8.0 reports it as bad. No partition info and no free space reported. Windows disk manager still reports them there. The system works, all partitions accesseble..
I cant remember when this has occoured, but I once had a failure with Norton Ghost (NG made a 16 MB partition and tried to boot that repeatedly)
I think I needed to edit boot.ini or recover the MBR to get XP Pro boot again.
Any idea how to solve this? I still wish to keep XP Pro
IC7 MAX3 (BIOS build date 04/27/2004)
IBM-DTLA-307045 (45 GB PATA) set as IDE0 Master
F: 20 GB, system XP Pro (norwegian)
G: 16 MB, GRUB files (Made by Norton Ghost, reformatted to install GRUB)
H: 25 GB, crap files
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210A set as IDE1 Master
WDC WD1200JD-00FYB0 (120 GB SATA)
C: 8 GB, system XP MCE (english)
D: 112 GB, crap files