DVD drive plays audio and data CD's but not DVD's.
Posted on 2004-11-10
OK video fans, heres the problem.
I recently installed a new motherboard and have not been able to get my DVD player to work since. It will play audio and data CD's fine but will not play a DVD. Everytime I try to play a DVD I get the message "The program Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and must close." I get same message in ASUS DVD player software. I originally thought this was a video card or video decoder problem. DVD's are region 1 commercially recorded DVD's purchased at local retailers.
System stats are: MB Biostar U8668D with VIA P4M266A/VT8235, Windows XP Pro sp2, 2.4G P4 Prescott, 1G 266 DDR memory, ASUS E616 DVD drive, ASUS DVD software, nVidia geForce2 MX400 video.
Things I have tried so far:
1. Reinstall old mother board with 1.6G P4 but otherwise using all the same hardware and software. DVD plays great.
2. Tried different media players. Intervidio WINDVD 6, ASUS DVD, Windows Media Player, Interactual DVD. Failure symptoms seem to vary but none of them worked.
3. Different Revs of nVidia video card drivers. Again failure symptoms vary but none work.
4. Clean install of XP with nothing else installed on system but video, and dvd software.
5. Clean install of XP sp1.
6. Clean install of XP sp2.
7. Install latest MB and other drivers from Microsoft. No newer drivers were available for DVD driver.
8. Ran Windows compatible video decoder checker. It says I'm good to go.
9. Did all of this again with on board S3 Video SavagePro 3D video.
10. Change cables.
11. Change ATA assignments.
Failure symptoms are a little inconsistent. For example; ASUS DVD just crashes. Windows Media Player and WIN DVD show the FBI "were gonna bust you" splash screen before crashing. Depending on the combination of video driver and media player I have even got it to play the menu page of the movie but as soon as I select Play it crashes. I have also gotten it to play the DVD audio once. I have not been able to repeat these results consistently.