Search & replace

Hi all

I have fedora test 3 and I''m looking if there is any search/replace functionallity that can also process subdirectories.

I' need to update 1000+ pages

I kinda think it  will take too much time to do this by hand

Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Hi x_terminat_or_3,
There is a program called 'sed' which is a streamline editor which you can specify search and replace as regular expressions. You can call this from a suitable 'find' command to process all files within a particular directory(ies).

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
x_terminat_or_3Author Commented:
right.  Got it

thanks.  For your fastness as well
No problem. Post here if you need help with the search and replace regular expression as they can be a bit nasty if you are not familiar with them.
x_terminat_or_3Author Commented:
You're right.  It is tough.  But I already closed the question....
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.