HELP! Incoming mail works, outgoing mail gets stuck in the Categorizer

I have Exchange 2000 SP3 on Win 2000 Svr and everything has been working fine for months and all of a sudden today we all come into work and have tons of "delay" messages. I did message tracking and any outbound emails sent today or yesterday have not gone out. Their status stops @ "Submitted to Categorizer"

All inbound emails work fine.

Please help me!

I have been combing this site and the Internet for hours now trying to find a solution.

MJL
mjinxedAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
sjrodriguezConnect With a Mentor Commented:
Did you double check to ensure the DNS settings are still valid. Some ISP's have a habit of changing the DNS and forgetting to notify people.

Also, do an NSLOOKUP from the Exchange server and verify that you get good communications to the DNS server, and that it can resolve MX records..

Finally, try and telnet to the remote mail server if the NSLOOKUP works, and see if it is accepting e-mail from your server.

Hopefully, you haven't been blacklisted as a spammer.
0
 
mjinxedAuthor Commented:
I did check and my ISP has changed the DNS numbers and I got the new ones and entered them but that didn't change anything. I also verified that I am not on any of the main black lists and that I am not an open relay. As far as NSLOOKUP, I ran it and everything seems to be fine. I ran it and entered www.google.com and these were the results:

Server:  bigserver.thomasco
Address:  192.168.0.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:     www.google.akadns.net
Addresses:  64.233.161.99, 64.233.161.104
Aliases:  www.google.com


Any further ideas?

MJL
0
 
bwinzenzCommented:
Not quite complete in terms of the nslookup.  You need to do an nslookup against the MX records.  Like this:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>nslookup
> set type=mx
> google.com
Server:  ns1.iplt.twtelecom.net
Address:  64.132.94.250

Non-authoritative answer:
google.com      MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = smtp4.google.com
google.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = smtp1.google.com
google.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = smtp2.google.com
google.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = smtp5.google.com
google.com      MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = smtp3.google.com

google.com      nameserver = ns2.google.com
google.com      nameserver = ns3.google.com
google.com      nameserver = ns4.google.com
google.com      nameserver = ns1.google.com
smtp3.google.com        internet address = 216.239.57.26
smtp4.google.com        internet address = 216.239.37.26
ns1.google.com  internet address = 216.239.32.10
ns2.google.com  internet address = 216.239.34.10
ns3.google.com  internet address = 216.239.36.10
ns4.google.com  internet address = 216.239.38.10

Next, you telnet to the smtp server.  For example:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>telnet smtp1.google.com 25 - which should result in an SMTP banner being displayed.  If it doesn't, then you are having problems looking up the remote domains.

Also keep in mind that once you change the DNS servers, that doesn't mean that the messages will get immediately sent.  Each domain will have a retry interval on it - unless you Force the connection from the queue, you would need to wait until the next time Exchange tries to send the mail to that domain.

Ben

0
 
OnsiteComputerMedicsCommented:
Also check the SMTP connector properties and make sure it's set to route mail using DNS, if it selected to use a smarthost, check to see if the smart host has the updated DNS.

Ben's been leading you down the right path though.
0
 
mjinxedAuthor Commented:
It turned out to be the ISP DNS address issue that you mentioned, sjrodriguez. Even though I had changed it, the person at my ISP that gave them to me gave me the wrong ones. So, once I got the right ones, that resolved the issue. I was glad to hear that I was not the only one having the problem, many people were calling in to my ISP with the same problem.

Thanks for the great help and responses!!!

MJL
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.