Clip on cable netwrok connection?

Hey guys,
I use a laptop like many other techs out there and use sniffing products for various troubleshooting techniques. I was wondering if there was such a thing as a piece of equipment that would allow me to snap onto any network cable and establish a network connection and then troubleshoot that particular cable or workstation. I am running into alot of unmanaged cheap switches and have a heck of a time sniffing out the problem machines, particularly when I am hunting down a trojan. If I could just clip onto a wire, then sniff that cable, it would save me a ton of time onsite.
Thanks a million for any sugestions.
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

You mean an ethernet clamp like this?
This is the one u need:

Its called an Ethernet TAP - its passive and allows you to sniff the ethernet (I think it works same way as those Cisco Managable switches - regarding their Port Monitoring abilites to replicate all traffic from one port on another (where the Laptop with sniffer is installed).
Or, you could go the other end of the scale and get a USB port powered mini ethernet hub
Top Threats of Q1 & How to Defend Against Them

WEBINAR: Join WatchGuard CTO and our Threat Research Team on Aug. 2nd to hear the findings from our Q1 Internet Security Report! Learn more about the top threats detected in the first quarter and how you can defend your business against them!

get yourself a fluke These devices are very good on reporting on any network conditions (not cheap, though).
PremierncAuthor Commented:
Hey Guys,
I like the ethernet clamp equipment. This is what I am looking for. Do any of them allow you to actually plug an ethernet cable directly into them and run a sniffer directly from your laptop?
The above give different solutions depending on what you want to do.

The Fluke is just the thing for cable testing and the Ethernet clamp will be great for monitoring signals.

If you need to actually capture and analyse the traffic, which is the way I read it, then you need inserted hardware that does port mirroring or acts like a hub.
No doubt somebody makes clamp equipment that will do this if money is no object :)

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.