I'm going to be away from home for several months and I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer both my applications and data files, both of which I have LOTS of.
Someone recommended a 160 gig external western digital firewire dual option 160 gig hard drive, instead of a "memory key". I have a few questions:
- Is the physical size of the external hard drive something that I could travel with? (i.e., can I take it with me on a plane to hook up to the new computer?)
- Can I save both programs and applications on it?
- Is there a way to configure the external drive to automatically back up files?
- If I can travel with it and hook it into the new computer, can I access files directly from the external hard drive, or will I have to transfer everything over to the main computer's hard drive (c:) in order to use the files and applications.
- Would you recommend this option, rather than a memory key or just saving to tons and tons of CDs?
Thanks for your advice,