I'm trully sorry if this is a second post. I keep getting kicked off line and I can't tell if my previous info was posted or not. I've tried rephrasing a question in XP, but I've decided to try another question fresh. Please bare with me.
I finally got around to installing my Windows XP Home Edition "upgrade" version. Did as told, went from a Fat32 format to NTSF or whatever it's called. I did this because Win Me was running in the background and giving many problem. I wanted a clean installation of Win XP Home. So Now, after, I hope or think, getting rid of Win Me, and doing a clean installation of Win XP Home--
My problems are--
1) Being that I just installed a clean install of Win XP Home, yet XP wouldn't pick up on my wireless router. For the longest time I couldn't access the internet. Finally, I re-installed from the CD, my wireless PCI Adapter. That at least got me online. Now, my computer can't hold on to a connection. As I tried to update windows at "Windows Update" my connection kept failing and I kept getting kicked off line and had to start all over. Finally through persistance, I finished. Also, when I reboot, my computer won't automatically, and it used to automatically, connect to the internet--I have cable. I must double-click the Taskbar icon of "Wireless Network Connection," which has a Red-X through it, and then "Connect" again. Soon as I re "Connect," the conncetion is great. To stop this problem, I've--in this process--used Supporting "Wireless Connection Status", and clicked "Repair." It's indicated at "repair"--"If problems persist, contact Network Administrator of ISP," but I've always assumed that's me. If no, some one please direct me. Point is that this connection doesn't last long before I'm kicked off line.
Quickly here, because it just happend, I receive messages from the Network Icon that "One of more wireless networks are availble. To see a list of networks click here (I means I'm kicked off line again)," so I click, my wireless connection comes up, and I must "Connect," i.e. re-connect.
Moreover, I've tried going to My Computer/Manage/Disk Management: I select Drive C:. Action/All Tasks/Properties. First Disk CleanUp, and then Tools. Then Error Checking/Check Now. I check both Check Disk Option, i.e. Automatically Fix File System Errors, and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. I check both click Start, and the computer can't do this function now, I must reboot, and it'll do it. In the past, with Fat32, and even with NTFS on my upstairs computer, when I rebooted, this process began, but not now. This computer, with NTFS, and just installed Win XP Home yesterday from an Upgrade Disk, begins this process, and then I receive a message that files can't be accessed and the computer stops both Disk Options, i.e. Automatically Fix File System Errors, and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then returns to Windows XP.
Now my main problems here on this newly installed, "CLEAN" installation of Windows XP Home Edition from an "Upgrade" CD is--
1) I wonder why, since I just did a clean installation of Win XP, and hopefully negated Win ME, yet it didn't automatically detect my Wireless PCI Adapter
2) After finally having to re-install the PCI Adapter with its CD and obtaining ability to access the internet, I can't stay online. (Keep in mind that I used my own WEP KEY taken from upstairs computer.
3) Even though I've used Windows Update, and as pertains to Win XP (without SP-2), I've updated all that can be updated. My next step is to install Win XP, SP-2, but I don't want to do that until I fix my current problems.
4) My current system runs slow, it studders, e.g. I'll be typing and all of a sudden the characters don't appear on the screen any longer, but if I keep typing, they'll appear, albeit belatted. Then the system catches up and the charater appear as supposed to appear.
Point is, since I've gotten rid of Win Me in the back ground of my computer, based on some advice here at Experts, i.e above, and have done a clean installation, I thought it was clean, of Win XP Home, I can't stay online for long, on every reboot, I must re-connect my wireless router, Win XP seems to be skipping, hemming and hawing, and miss-fireing, even though I've updated every update except for SP-2. I even had the darndest time getting my printer to work. To end, my wireless connection is kicking offline about every three minutes, and I must click the icon, and re-connect, the system is slow and screwed, I'm completely updated, there's no ME that I know of on this computer. CAn anyone please--PLEASE!--help me get this computer running correctly? Moreover, my only version of Win XP Home, other than hp's locked drive upstairs for Recovery, I have only an Upgrade CD for Win XP.
P.S. I'm having trouble staying online, my wireless won't hold, and I keep getting kicked off line. Please bare with me.