We are using a .vbs script to configure our client dns suffix search lists. I have found that while using a dns suffix search list, the primary DNS suffix is not used. I have manually added the primary DNS suffix search list to the script however that dns suffix does not 'stick'. The only way I have found to connect to a machne in my domain is by using the FQDN. Here is an example.
We are running 2003 AD
The domain I am in is 123.abc.com
The DNS suffixes in the seach list .vbs script are:
I can ping anything in 456.abc.com and 789.abc.com by using host name only. I cannot ping anytihing in 123.abc.com unless I use the FQDN.
I have tried entering 123.abc.com manually in my DNS suffix search list to no avail. An ipconfig /all shows my Primary DNS as 123.abc.com and 456.abc.com & 789.abc.com show in the DNS suffix search list. Wierd...