Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


Problem saving attachment using TIDPop3 component (cannot save attachment)

Posted on 2004-11-25
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-04-04

I adapted a program to run as a service that retrieves mails using a TIDPop3 component, save attached excel sheets, and do some processing on the contained data. I tested it on a W2K workstation and WinXP PC, without a problem. But when I installed it on W2K server PC, I got the error message that the attachment cannot be saved. The component can retrieve the email message without a problem, but fails to store the attached excel sheet.
First I thought about security settings, the service uses the Local System account. (Note: the service is not interactive with the desktop and has no dependencies). But then the services keeps a log of the performed actions, and the logfile is stored in the same directory where the attachments have to be stored. (There is enough diskspace available of course. I even tried to save the file on a network drive, but that didn't work either.)
Is there a way to get more diagnostic info from the component itself, f.i. what the actual reason is why the file cannot be saved? And does anybody have idea why in a specific case the saving of an attachment wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance,
Question by:ecomaster
  • 2
  • 2

Expert Comment

ID: 12675854
maybe it saves under a temp name then renames it. if so make sure the user has both modify and delete rights.


Author Comment

ID: 12675994
Indeed, the TIDAttachment component (from the same Indy suit) first stores the file in a temp directory (I don't know which one yet) and the copies it. The service uses the Local System account, how can one check what rights this account has? Actually I thought this 'account' could read/write in all the local drives/directories.


Accepted Solution

Molando earned 1500 total points
ID: 12676115
to find the directory try going to http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml
then running this, this monitors all file activity on the computer, it should let you see where it is trying to save

Author Comment

ID: 13080449
Hi, sorry for the late response. The tools on the site were very helpful to find out which temp directory is used.
It seemed to have been a problem with user rights, cause I reinstalled the service using an administrator account and haven't been able to reproduce the error since.

Featured Post

How to Use the Help Bell

Need to boost the visibility of your question for solutions? Use the Experts Exchange Help Bell to confirm priority levels and contact subject-matter experts for question attention.  Check out this how-to article for more information.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction The parallel port is a very commonly known port, it was widely used to connect a printer to the PC, if you look at the back of your computer, for those who don't have newer computers, there will be a port with 25 pins and a small print…
Creating an auto free TStringList The TStringList is a basic and frequently used object in Delphi. On many occasions, you may want to create a temporary list, process some items in the list and be done with the list. In such cases, you have to…
We’ve all felt that sense of false security before—locking down external access to a database or component and feeling like we’ve done all we need to do to secure company data. But that feeling is fleeting. Attacks these days can happen in many w…
This lesson discusses how to use a Mainform + Subforms in Microsoft Access to find and enter data for payments on orders. The sample data comes from a custom shop that builds and sells movable storage structures that are delivered to your property. …
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month21 days, 2 hours left to enroll

810 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question