can't start mandrake linux on a dual boot ibm t30

Posted on 2004-11-28
Last Modified: 2013-12-15
Hi,  recently i installed mandrake onto my t30 with winxp installed already, it is very handy to install, since mandrake almost does everything for me, after the installation, i reboot the machine i get promopted a screen of five options: linux-smp, linux, linux-nonfb, failsafe, windows. first question, can someone please what they mean exactly, the windows led me to xp but how about the others, second questions, i waited for 10 secs, and by default it takes me to linux, i logged in, and type startx on the line to start linux interface, that is when i get this error message:
"XIO : fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on server "'0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed with 0 events remaining)"

by the way, my laptop worked fine when had a dual boot xp and slackware.

can someone please help? i really appreciate it
Question by:wakemeup
    LVL 38

Expert Comment

Linux-smp: SMP (Symmetric Multiple Processor) kernel for supporting dual CPUs (or more) or
             CPU with Hyperthreading machines.
    Linux: Regular Linux kernel
    Linus-nofb: FB (Frame buffer) use a graphical framebuffer to handle the console. It is also usefull for graphical applications, because you can access the screen easier, because the fbcon code can handle the mode-switching (unless your system uses the vesa-fb driver), the 'Linux-nofb' starts up with the fbcon stuff disabled.
    failsafe: similar to the safe mode in Windows.

Which version of Mandrake you have?

LVL 38

Accepted Solution

> XIO : fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on server "'0.0" after 0 requests
    It indicates that the X-server configuration is not correct or the monitor/video driver is not compatilbe.
    You might want to check the IBM website for Linux driver and install the latest one.

Featured Post

Gigs: Get Your Project Delivered by an Expert

Select from freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely and get projects done right.

Join & Write a Comment

SSH (Secure Shell) - Tips and Tricks As you all know SSH(Secure Shell) is a network protocol, which we use to access/transfer files securely between two networked devices. SSH was actually designed as a replacement for insecure protocols that sen…
    It’s 2016. Password authentication should be dead — or at least close to dying. But, unfortunately, it has not traversed Quagga stage yet. Using password authentication is like laundering hotel guest linens with a washboard — it’s Passé.
    Learn how to get help with Linux/Unix bash shell commands. Use help to read help documents for built in bash shell commands.: Use man to interface with the online reference manuals for shell commands.: Use man to search man pages for unknown command…
    Learn how to navigate the file tree with the shell. Use pwd to print the current working directory: Use ls to list a directory's contents: Use cd to change to a new directory: Use wildcards instead of typing out long directory names: Use ../ to move…

745 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

15 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now