?
Solved

can't start mandrake linux on a dual boot ibm t30

Posted on 2004-11-28
Medium Priority
?
Last Modified: 2013-12-15
Hi,  recently i installed mandrake onto my t30 with winxp installed already, it is very handy to install, since mandrake almost does everything for me, after the installation, i reboot the machine i get promopted a screen of five options: linux-smp, linux, linux-nonfb, failsafe, windows. first question, can someone please what they mean exactly, the windows led me to xp but how about the others, second questions, i waited for 10 secs, and by default it takes me to linux, i logged in, and type startx on the line to start linux interface, that is when i get this error message:
"XIO : fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on server "'0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed with 0 events remaining)"

by the way, my laptop worked fine when had a dual boot xp and slackware.

can someone please help? i really appreciate it
Comment
Question by:wakemeup
2 Comments

LVL 38

Expert Comment

by:wesly_chen
ID: 12692442
Hi,

Linux-smp: SMP (Symmetric Multiple Processor) kernel for supporting dual CPUs (or more) or
         CPU with Hyperthreading machines.
Linux: Regular Linux kernel
Linus-nofb: FB (Frame buffer) use a graphical framebuffer to handle the console. It is also usefull for graphical applications, because you can access the screen easier, because the fbcon code can handle the mode-switching (unless your system uses the vesa-fb driver), the 'Linux-nofb' starts up with the fbcon stuff disabled.
failsafe: similar to the safe mode in Windows.

Which version of Mandrake you have?

Wesly

LVL 38

Accepted Solution

by:
wesly_chen earned 250 total points
ID: 12933909
> XIO : fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on server "'0.0" after 0 requests
It indicates that the X-server configuration is not correct or the monitor/video driver is not compatilbe.
You might want to check the IBM website for Linux driver and install the latest one.

Wesly

Featured Post

New feature and membership benefit!

New feature! Upgrade and increase expert visibility of your issues with Priority Questions.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Using 'screen' for session sharing, The Simple Edition Step 1: user starts session with command: screen Step 2: other user (logged in with same user account) connects with command: screen -x Done. Both users are connected to the same CLI sessio…
The purpose of this article is to demonstrate how we can use conditional statements using Python.
Learn several ways to interact with files and get file information from the bash shell. ls lists the contents of a directory: Using the -a flag displays hidden files: Using the -l flag formats the output in a long list: The file command gives us mor…
Get a first impression of how PRTG looks and learn how it works.   This video is a short introduction to PRTG, as an initial overview or as a quick start for new PRTG users.
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month13 days, 20 hours left to enroll

809 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question