Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
wakemeup

asked on

can't start mandrake linux on a dual boot ibm t30

Hi,  recently i installed mandrake onto my t30 with winxp installed already, it is very handy to install, since mandrake almost does everything for me, after the installation, i reboot the machine i get promopted a screen of five options: linux-smp, linux, linux-nonfb, failsafe, windows. first question, can someone please what they mean exactly, the windows led me to xp but how about the others, second questions, i waited for 10 secs, and by default it takes me to linux, i logged in, and type startx on the line to start linux interface, that is when i get this error message:
"XIO : fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on server "'0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed with 0 events remaining)"

by the way, my laptop worked fine when had a dual boot xp and slackware.

can someone please help? i really appreciate it
wesly_chen
Flag of United States of America image

Hi,

Linux-smp: SMP (Symmetric Multiple Processor) kernel for supporting dual CPUs (or more) or
         CPU with Hyperthreading machines.
Linux: Regular Linux kernel
Linus-nofb: FB (Frame buffer) use a graphical framebuffer to handle the console. It is also usefull for graphical applications, because you can access the screen easier, because the fbcon code can handle the mode-switching (unless your system uses the vesa-fb driver), the 'Linux-nofb' starts up with the fbcon stuff disabled.
failsafe: similar to the safe mode in Windows.

Which version of Mandrake you have?

Wesly
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
wesly_chen
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial