Super Global Application that all Users see
Posted on 2004-11-28
Either this problem is so super easy I'm going to embarrass myself or it is totally impossible:
I have a legacy Visual Basic application that is now "broke" due to the use of multiple users. I have a scheduling application my clients install while logged in as Administrator. It writes to the "c:\Program Files\" folder. It runs all the time. When an event comes up, it has a popup dialog box to remind the user of the upcoming event.
PROBLEM: When a user logs in under a different account login name, the application is no longer available to that user. What's frustrating is that I know the original application is still running because I can't delete the exe file in the "c:\Program Files\" folder.
I know one workaround is to install the scheduling routine under each user name - but this seems ludicrous. I don't want to have to reinstall an application every time a new user adds a user name.
QUESTION: Is there a method of making a Visual Basic application "super global"? In other words: when it is running, it can be "seen" by all of the users.
* Log in as "Administrator".
* Open a 'Notepad' session. Let this 'Notepad' session represent the home-built scheduler application written Visual Basic.
* Select 'Start' / 'Log off' / 'Switch User' /
* Login as "Guest" (or some other user)
* The 'Notepad' session should still be up, running, and visible (if set to run as our hypothetical "super global application").
If what I am asking is impossible - is there a better method or workaround?