What does it take to write a MMORPG?
Posted on 2004-11-28
I'm asking this question after seeing so many MMORPG-wannabe-developers. No offence to those who really have the passion, devotion, discipline, technology, money, publisher and the right people with the right storyline to start work on.
I've seen so many case like:
1) I'm financially strong and would like to develop a MMORPG.
- Has no development experience, no programming skills and such.
- Has a strong business plan but requires good and trustworthy ppl to implement it.
2) I've learnt 3 months of VB and would like to write an MMORPG.
- Needless to say.
- Might make it probably after years and realises that there was a lot more to MMORPG to it than just mere games development.
3) I've an avid gamer and is looking for great gamers and game developers or programmers to join me in my cause to develop an MMORPG.
- Great cause, but no proper planning, no storyline, none of the basic game development elemental requirements present.
- Has many years of gaming experience which could contribute to the game development itself.
We all know, MMORPG is one of the ways where software vendors are able to maintain a continuous source of small but steady income as your customer base pays to play the game every now and then or on per-month basis.
I'll probably ask this question, short but extremely tedious to answer;
What does it take to write a MMORPG? (Technical and Business aspects)
I may not be a great games developer, neither do I have a strong financial support but I would seriously like to see how ppl would approach to write such games of this genre. The one who answers in a realistic, serious, proper and complete manner will get all my points.