Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of sqwasi

asked on

Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access - HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

To anyone that can help,

My client has a Windows 2003 Small Business Server.  We set this up many months ago and everything has been working fine.  However, lately we cannot log into the Outlook web access if we go to  If we go to that site we will get an error message - HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.  If I take off the friendly error messages in IE I get the following (OH, and this is right after it asks me to accept the security certificate):

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp, line 4


I have tried a lot of things to troubleshoot this.  I have reinstalled IIS, verified the permissions, reset all of the exchange web IIS folders, reinstalled exchange over top of itself, reapplied SP1 to exchange and any othe patches, and more.  I did figure out a work around.  If I go into the exchange administrator and then find the HTTP protocol section under the server.  I can right click the Exchange Virtual Server, go to the settings tab, and uncheck enable forms based authentication.  This turns this off.  Then if I go to it will immediatly give me an authentication box.  It doesn't display the regular outlook web access login PAGE.  One other point is that I can also log into the OWA if I log into the remote web workplace first.  If I go in that way it works just fine.  It is only if I am going to

Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help that you can give me would be great.  Thank you.
Avatar of v_alber

Link to home
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of sqwasi



You are awesome!!! I wish I had submitted this questions 6 hours ago.  Thank you so much.  The scrrun.dll was actually missing from the system folder and the system32 folder.  I copied the file from the dllcache to the system32 folder and ran your command.  Worked like a charm!  Thanks again.
The question is old but this just happened to me, and that little answer saved me hours of troubleshooting.
Thank you :)
I had issues with this as well but what was interesting was that on certain workstations I could login to owa as one user just fine but on the same machine I would attempt to login as another user and would get the error.  This fix resolved it!  v_alber should get extra points for this one!  :-)  Thanks v_alber!  You saved the day and my neck.