XML Document must have a top level element. Error processing resource file.

My law firm is using a third party program (EPave) for electronic filings to the USPTO.  The program is bombing out at one point giving the above error message:  "XML Document must have a top level element.  Error processing resource file...."

Although I'm an expert at Word (EE Page Editor), I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about XML.  We have tried EPave Tech Support but they have been of little or no assistance.

The error message always occurs in the same place -- at the usfees.xml document.

Any guidance or assistance would be appreciated.  The attorneys are getting frustrated!

Many thanks.
Joanne


LVL 37
Joanne M. OrzechManager, Document Services CenterAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

bloodredsunCommented:
A quick primer on xml:

There must be a doctype definition ad there must be an element that is the top lovel element, i.e. an element that wraps around all the others

e.g.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<map>
   <hello>Bonjour</hello>
   <hello>Buenas Dias</hello>
</map>

<?xml version="1.0"?> is the doctype def
<map> (and it's closing tag </map>) is the top level element
bloodredsunCommented:
Recommended tutorials are:

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp
http://www.xmlfiles.com/xml/

There are many more but these are 2 good ones.

Xml is actually very simple so don't be intimidated. If you post some of your "xml" I can have a closer look
stimno1Commented:
A little more info on the input to this program is required. But i'll try to explain a little basic xml.
xml actualy is nothing more than an ordered set of containers (possibly containers containing containers) with data. Try imagining envelopes (with data) in envelopes with nice titles written on the outside (such as 'clients' 'adresses' 'clientgroup' etc).

What i get from the error (in the above context) would be that the envelope containing all of the other envelopes is wrongly named (it's title is 'costumers' instead of 'clients'), or there are two envelopes in the xml document pretending to contain every other envelope (so the programme tries to make a list of clients while there are actually two lists available in the document).

If the error is indeed in the xml file (wich i highly suspect since you only get the error for usfees.xml) you need to clear up the rubbish inside the xml. Try to validate the xml and clear the spawned errors.
(validators on web (for web pages): http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~richard/xml-check.html or see http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema#XML-Validate)

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Joanne M. OrzechManager, Document Services CenterAuthor Commented:
Thanks all for your comments.  I will read and try to digest.

Of note discovered this morning - the program works fine on my PC after a clean install!  So I'm assuming there is another program on the attorney's PC that may be causing this.  I also did a clean install on his machine.

When I copy the folder that is generated by this program containing all the xml files from my PC to the attorney's PC, he can open the usfees.xml without a problem.  When I copy just the usfees.xml from my PC to his PC - he gets the same error message but at the bottom it also says:  <!DOCTTYPE us-fee-sheet SYSTEM "us-fee-sheet.dtd"> which I assume is because it becomes "unlinked" from the other files in the folder.

So this is all pointing to some sort of problem generating the usfees.xml on his PC.  Hate to be so cryptic - I'm more or less thinking out loud.





Joanne M. OrzechManager, Document Services CenterAuthor Commented:
I figured out what the problem was.  It was a corrupt install of ABX or ABXPDFWriter which are other programs from the USPTO.  I did a clean install of those two programs and now EPave works.

Go figure.

Many thanks for your help.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Web Languages and Standards

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.