\\MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource.
Posted on 2005-02-05
I am unable to share files or print share from my new desktop computer. The question title above is the error message received when clicking "View Workgroup comuters" in the "network tasks" column. "\\MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource.
My home network worked very well until I added this a new desktop that I got for Christmas. Since then, I have stayed up many sleepless nights determined to get this computer networked with the rest of them. I read almost all of the postings on this website as well as many microsoft knowledge based articles, but I can not find a resolution. The 4 notebooks and the old desktop are still communicating with each other, but this new computer can not be seen on my network. Please help.
Some of things that I tried are below:
1) Did ping test and I can pint each computer by IP address, but I can not pint the computer by name.
2) I renamed each computer and the workgroup name to SEWINGIRL. The other computers continue to communicate with each other by sharing files and printers, but this new desktop sill can not participate in my home network.
3) I confirmed that the local security settings allowed guests
4) I deleted and reinstalled the TCP/IP and the File and print sharing to ensure that they were all intact
5) NetBios is enabled in TCP/IP
6) disabled any firewalls or virus programs
and much much more that I can not remember.
Please offer any suggestions to resolve this matter.
Thanks in advance,