SQL Mail configuration: error 18025 xp_test_mapi_profile: failed with mail error 0x80040111

We have SQL Server 2000 running on two servers. One of those servers can send mail, the other gives an error when I try to configure it. So the account can send and receive mail. We use Exchange 2000, Windows 2000, Outlook 2000.

I log in as systemuser, and then create a new account for Outlook. This seems to work normally. I can find the exchange server and the account of the systemuser. The check for the account works okay. Then I've changed the settings for the services MSSQLSERVER and SQLAGENT. Now they logon as systemuser.

Having done this all, if I go to the server's support services/sql mail/properties and test for the account, I get the above error. The drop down menu is empty. I believe the account should show up here. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
LVL 1
grexxAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

arbertCommented:
Do you have SP3a installed on both version of SQL Server?  On the server that you receive the error on, are you running any instances?

Brett

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
grexxAuthor Commented:
I'm not sure about the service pack. The version installed is: Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86). I've found the following page that says this built number is for service pack SP3 or SP3a.

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/sqlsps.htm

If I use SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel'), I get SP3 back. This is the same for the working server. Should I try to install SP3a?

About the instances, to be honest, I don't know what you mean. I don't work that much with sql server, I just have to get this working now. We have a pretty simple setup, using only stored procedures, no views etc.
arbertCommented:
If both version numbers are the same, you're good with SP3a already....

If you go to a command prompt on a computer that has the SQL client tools and your run:

 OSQL -L

Do you see your two servers, and do any of them have a "\????" where ???? would be an instance name.
Get a highly available system for cyber protection

The Acronis SDI Appliance is a new plug-n-play solution with pre-configured Acronis Software-Defined Infrastructure software that gives service providers and enterprises ready access to a fault-tolerant system, which combines universal storage and high-performance virtualization.

grexxAuthor Commented:
If I run "OSQL -L" I see both server names. I don't see a \ on both names.

C:\>OSQL -L

Servers:
    SERVER01
    SERVER04
grexxAuthor Commented:
I've installed SQL server on a spare server, with SP3a. I've installed Outlook and created a profile as systemuser. Now if I try to test the account, it says "the mapi profile was not found on the server".

For me it doesn't matter whether the old or the new server works, as long as I get one server running. If you can give me both solutions though, I'll double the points, and split the points over the two solutions.
arbertCommented:
Well, there was a bug with SQL mail if multiple instances were running, but I don't get the impression you're running them

You might have already seen it, but take a gander at the microsoft SQLMail white paper and doublecheck your config:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263556&Product=sql2k

Brett
grexxAuthor Commented:
It turned out that the problem had to do with the Outlook profile name. Now I've figured that out, the test works, so the problem is solved. Thanks for the tips!
grexxAuthor Commented:
I just had the same problem again, on a server that had mail working. Previously this only happened when installing SQL Server. Luckily a system restart solved the problem. I still takes about 30 seconds to a minute for the mail to arrive, but that may be a mail problem. I don't have SP4 installed at the moment.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SQL Server

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.