I am trying to help my sister & brother-in-law with their laptop computer. If this isn't posted where it needs to be, let me know where I need to post it.
To begin with here is the link to the Hijackthis log
I have a printout of hijackthis log tutorial and I deleted a few that I was sure could be deleted. I see more that I think could be deleted, but decided I better ask an expert before doing anything else. ;-)
I am going to try to list everything that I can think of now and maybe someone can help me through each thing as needed. I am putting this at 500 points and will add more if things get lined out completely. Below is part of the information using Belarc.
Operating System System Model Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Hewlett-Packard Pavilion ze5200 KF.F.05
System Serial Number: TW30432218 Processor a Main Circuit Board b 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Hewlett-Packard 0850 NS570 Version PQ1A91
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. KF.F.05 12/17/2002 Drives Memory Modules c,d 40.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
28.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2312 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
IC25N040ATCS04-0 [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n CSH409DLCNKBNB, rev CA4OA71A, SMART Status: Healthy 448 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'J400' has 256 MB
Slot 'J401' has 256 MB Local Drive Volumes
Logins Network Drives CHIEFSLAPTOP\Owner
NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Besides the spyware, there were 23 viruses on this computer that could not be repaired so we quarantine, then deleted. Most of them were trojans. I still have the log of what they were, if needed. My brother-in-law backed up what he needed and said just erase it all and start over. But.. there are a few problems with that.
* The laptop was used while he was in the service and has been exposed to a lot of sand.The floppy doesn't work.. it makes a sound when you try to do anything with the floppy. It wants to format, then says that it couldn't be completed. How would we check for sand inside? Can I just remove the floppy drive and see inside? Is it really complicated? I am comfortable opening a desktop case, but a little nervous with a laptop.
* There is an error that comes up everytime you try to open a folder. The error is... Error! Explorer You click ok and it opens the folder. It does this when double clicking "My computer" and any file after that.
* I plan to check for windows updates while waiting for someone that is willing to help me.
* The system configuration - We need some help with what should be in start-up. What should it be on? Normal, selective? Is there a list that I can find out what is needed and what isn't? There are A LOT of things in there!!
* I have added and updated Spyware Blaster, ad-aware, AVG & zone alarm (zonealarm not up-dated - explained below). There are a few things on zone alarm that I checked for it to always remember "no"... Because I wasn't sure what they were. He had a corporate nortons on here, but it was detected that spyware or something was in those files too, so we uninstalled that. He is retired now and they have nortons home edition that they are going to put on here once everything is straightened out.
* One thing that I notice is the search toolbar on the left, sometimes shows the "page cannot be displayed". It wasn't doing that before. But they don't want to toolbar anyway. It keeps coming back.
* When trying to update zonealarm, for instance, it brings up a new browser when I click to start the download, but nothing ever comes up in that browser. It is a real small browser that pops up. I have left it alone for awhile, but nothing ever happens. So, zonealarm has NOT been updated.
Right now, that is all of the things I can think of. I want to get this posted, but there may be more questions later...and more points, of course. Any takers? TIA