Page cannot be displayed. dns working fine. Local intranet. XP SP2
Posted on 2005-03-15
I have one of those issues that should be "impossible" but it is what it is. I have a 2k domain running in mixed mode. I am running integrated active directory dns. I have an Intranet setup that users log into to use various apps. I got tired of people complaining about logging into the intranet so I set up the group policy to use windows authentication and added the intranet to the intranet security zone in IE. This is working fine for everyone with XP SP2, as I expected. One machine with XP sp2 however was using the intranet site fine in the morning then could not access it that afternoon. We would get a page cannot be displayed error (DNS error at bottom of page) when using the FQDN. I ran nslookup through both configured dns servers and the names resolved fine. The same type computer sitting next to it could access the site fine. I changed the ip configuration from manual config to dhcp and it didn't help any. (I have it set manual for filtering purposes.) If I type in the ip address of the website I can get to it just fine. Therefore, it does look like a dns issue. However, as I said, I have no trouble resolving the name. I have never seen anything like it. I ran the "repair connection" utility in XP, no help. I am at a loss. I set up a shortcut for the user to hit it by ip address and this is fine for a workaround but I would really like to get this one solved.