Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 417
  • Last Modified:

SMC7004FW router connect problems after firmware upgrade

I just upgraded the firmware for my SMC7004FW router to fix VOIP problems (cutting in & out ). However, I cannot connect with certain websites and have intermittent problems with other. I get the message "resolving host www.xxx.xxx" in the status window followed by the error message "www.xxx.xxx could not be found. Please check the name and try again." I'm also unable to open multiple tabs simultaneously in Mozilla Firefox, which I could do before. I believe I get the message that the browser cannot find the url or sometimes that access has been denied.

I've tried reloading the firmware upgrade to the router, reseting the router, and releasing and renewing it. Still have problems. I've also repaired the connection on my local computer multiple times. The computer is now plugged directly into the SMC router, rather than being routed through my MegaFast switch. Also, I tried connecting my computer directly to the broadband modem, and all the problems disappeared. But once I re-connected through the router, the problems came back. I had none of the problems before the firmware update (although the VOIP quality is improved). FYI, I'm using Comcast.
0
davenglish
Asked:
davenglish
1 Solution
 
techi03Commented:
What sites are u trying to access?
Have u tried to change the MTU settings on the router, most routers default to 1500, try lowering it to 1492 or 1492.
0
 
davenglishAuthor Commented:
How? Don't see such a setting except under PPPoE. Also, there are further developments.

First, to my surprise, I found that I did not have this problem resolving URL addresses on other computers on my network, only on the one. However, it had never had this problem before updating the router firmware. So, I tried a different tack--I set  the local computer to use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 DNS's rather than letting the router run DNS requests through Comcast's (I'm guessing) DNS's. Voila! That solved it. However, I still wonder why it does not work the other way on this one computer and it works just fine with the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" setting on the other computers on the same router and switch.
0
 
DarthModCommented:
PAQed with points (500) refunded

DarthMod
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now