I bought D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless Cardbus Adapter so i could connect my second laptop Compaq Presario 1200 (with Windows XP Pro) to a wireless network.
I installed all the drivers and software required for my adapter to work...
Here's my configuration:
1. 'Wireless Networks" tab
- "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" - checked
2. 'Networks to access'
- "Access point (infrastructure) networks only" - selected
- "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" - checked
3. 'Preferred networks' Properties
- "Data encryption (WEP enabled)" - checked
- "The is provided for me automatically" - checked
4. 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' Properties
- "Obtain an IP address automatically" - selected
- "Obtain DNS server address automatically" - selected
5. 'This connection uses the following items:'
- "Client for Microsoft Networks" - checked
- "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" - checked
- "QoS Packet Scheduler" - checked
- "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" - checked
My wireless network is not password protected.
Connection status: 'Connected'
Speed: '22.0 Mbps'
Signal Strength: 'Very good'
When i click on 'Internet Explorer' a window "Work Offline" pops up... I click on "Try Again button" and i get this error "The page cannot be displayed"
When i type 'ipconfig' in command prompt, it displays that my "Autoconfiguration IP address" is 169.254.166.84 and "Subnet Mask" is 255.255.0.0
When i try to renew the IP address i get this error "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."
My other laptop (with a built in wireless adaptor) seems to work... however, when it's offline i still have the same problem.