Some .asp pages not working

Posted on 2005-03-22
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2008-01-09
Ok, I am putting into production a new web server, 2003 Server. I copied all of my web pages over to the new server, including my web site created in Dreamweaver. I copied all of my databases over to the server, everything is copied to the same path as was on the old server. I have gone into the ODBC panel and registered all of my databases, used the correct source name, etc. When I try to fire up most of my .asp pages (which pull content from a database) I get a 500 server error that the page cannot be viewed.

I'm at a loss here. Any ideas why this stuff is not working?

Question by:crbush
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 96

Expert Comment

by:Lee W, MVP
ID: 13602972
You've enabled ASP, right:
This Microsoft KB Article should explain how to enable ASP on IIS 6.0

If so, turn off the Friendly HTTP error messages and find out WHAT is causing the error.
LVL 71

Expert Comment

by:Chris Dent
ID: 13616467

500 is a very very generic error, it covers absolutely anything going wrong in ASP from simple page processing to a server-side application error.

If it's a page processing error you can check a combination of the server event log and web server log files - the log files will include the file name and (perhaps more importantly) the line number and error message.

As an example this is a line from an IIS 6.0 Log:

2005-03-22 15:56:00 GET /Index.asp |8|800a0401|Expected_end_of_statement <c-ip> HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows;+U;+Windows+NT+5.1;+en-GB;+rv:1.7.5)+Gecko/20041110+Firefox/1.0 <referrer> 500 636

The |8|800a0401|Expected_end_of_statement field represents the full details of the error. And indicates that I've done something silly in my ASP code on line 8 ;)

If it's a more generic error the cause is most likely to be permissions - this can include system policies and everything should be checked carefully.

A combination of RegMon and FileMon from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml can help a lot for discovering incorrectly set permissions.

Check the file level permissions are correct for both the Process Account and the Anonymous Access account (IWAM and IUSR respectively) - especially to any databases you use. If your ASP is .NET ensure that the ASPNET account has the correct permissions assigned.

Check the application pool the site is running under. To test the process account create a new local account (like IWAM_yoursitename), add it to the IIS_WPG group and assign that as the identity for the application pool it uses.

For .NET you can catch more detail of the error message by viewing the site on the server itself - by default a lot of the troubleshooting information is not sent to client browsers.

Post again if nothing in that helps at all :)


Author Comment

ID: 13621760
Thanks for your suggestions. I checked the logs and discovered with a little searching, that the issue was related to parent paths being disabled. Apparently, they are not enabled in II6. Once I enabled them, everything works perfect.
LVL 29

Expert Comment

ID: 13634481
>Once I enabled them, everything works perfect.

They are disabled by default because they are unsafe, FYI.  I know you want your web site to *work* but you will need to eventually find the pages using ../ notation (say in server side includes or MapPath() calls) and replace the references with virtual paths or FQDNs.


Accepted Solution

modulo earned 0 total points
ID: 14356835
PAQed with points refunded (500)

Community Support Moderator

Featured Post

Ransomware-A Revenue Bonanza for Service Providers

Ransomware – malware that gets on your customers’ computers, encrypts their data, and extorts a hefty ransom for the decryption keys – is a surging new threat.  The purpose of this eBook is to educate the reader about ransomware attacks.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

One of the typical problems I have experienced is when you have to move a web server from one hosting site to another. You normally prepare all on the new host, transfer the site, change DNS and cross your fingers hoping all will be ok on new server…
What You Need to Know when Searching for a Webhost Provider
Michael from AdRem Software outlines event notifications and Automatic Corrective Actions in network monitoring. Automatic Corrective Actions are scripts, which can automatically run upon discovery of a certain undesirable condition in your network.…
In this video, Percona Solutions Engineer Barrett Chambers discusses some of the basic syntax differences between MySQL and MongoDB. To learn more check out our webinar on MongoDB administration for MySQL DBA: https://www.percona.com/resources/we…

762 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question