Posted on 2005-03-23
I just installed a DVD drive, but it can't read CD's or DVD's!
Plugged it all in and it shows up in device manager but get an error saying "Unknown or currupt format" when trying to load a CD or DVD.
NB, I removed a CD drive and put the DVD drive in its place.
What could this be?
Could it be that
1) The IDE cable isn't plugged in properly?
2) The old drive needs to be uninstalled / disabled from device manager? i.e. to avoid an IRQ conflict.
3) The new drive should be installed using the official driver
4) The new drive should be connected to another IDE cable, even if this means
5) The jumpers on the drive need to be changed.
They are the only possibilities I can think of. Please advise of any others / the most likely.