external usb hdd: not accessible, parameter is incorrect
Posted on 2005-03-25
I'm hoping someone can help with my situation. Here's the breakdown:
WinXP Pro sp2, AMD Athlon 800mhz, 640mb RAM
While performing routine work on my computer, Windows pops a msg in the task tray and reported it had detected a corrupt file (identifies a specific mp3 file by name). I located the file on my external USB Maxtor5000DV (G:) and deleted it.
I wanted to be sure everything was ok, since I had a Maxtor3000LE drive that had previously failed. So first:
1) I set a restore point
2) Right-clicked on my HDD (C:\) and ran Error Checking, everything ok
3) Ran Disk Defragmenter on C:, everything ok
4) Proceeded to run Windows Error Checking>Check Disk on G: (Maxtor 5000DV, external usb drive) (also, I set the options to “fix file system errors” and “scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”)
5) Allowed pc to reboot (since that’s when Check Disk runs)
< - - at this point that little voice in the back of my head says, “D’OH!” - - >
6) Windows reboots, Check Disk doesn’t run
7) Next time I shut down, reboot, Check Disk runs. The procedure takes a while since it’s a 160gb hdd.
8) After several hours, Check Disk stalls at some point in the progress bar.
9) Shut down, reboot
10) Attempt to access G:, receive msg, “G: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect”
< - - now I’m scared - - >
11) Attempt System Restore and receive msg, “Changes to drive G: after this point cannot by reversed because system monitoring was turned off, the drive was removed or …”
12) Shut down, reboot
13) Attempt to access drive G: again and receive msg, “G:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”
14) I check the drive properties for G:, Windows reports the drive is completely empty
So (once again) I have an external usb Maxtor drive that has failed. ALL MY DATA is on there, I can’t get to it. From what I can hear, the drive spins fine (no abnormal or clicking noises). Please help.
Thus far, I've sent an e-mail to Maxtor and am awaiting a response. Also, I've read previous postings and am aware of CrazyOne's long list of software solutions/data recovery services list. I noticed the other postings I've read had similar error messages to mine, but since the error occurred differently for me, I figured I'd ask for my specific situation. I've also run across other info that directs users to attempt data recovery via Knoppix (so I have those instructions handy as well). The point is I'm asking cuz I just wanna know what would be the safest way to proceed and what methods to try first (so as not to render other possible solutions useless). The data on the external usb drive is extremely important to me. The data recovery services I've contacted have quoted prices of at least $600 to $2500 depending on difficulty. So I'd like to try a low-cost alternative if possible. THANKS!!!