URLScan Installed and Now E-Mail Attachments are Blocked?
Posted on 2005-03-26
I'm trying to e-mail a .zip attachment, and I am receiving the response from my Exchange 2003 server listed below. The only thing I have changed recently is I installed URLScan. I'm pretty sure I have it configured correctly for OWA, and even if I didn't I don't think that would be causing SMTP actions like this would it? Nothing about this problem is logged in the urlscan logs either. I've never had a problem with sending .zip files before.
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Sent: 3/26/2005 1:05 PM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
********@gmail.com on 3/26/2005 1:06 PM
The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force
<mydomain.com #5.7.0 smtp;552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment>
Also, this is logged in the Event Log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: NDR
Event ID: 3030
A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.7.0 was generated for recipient rfc822;*******@gmail.com (Message-ID <E18DF4A94205CE40B10250A34F5280462921@mydomain.com>).