Need a recommendation for a managed linux host
Posted on 2005-03-29
I am looking for a dedicated hosting solution. I want it to be managed where I don't have to do any setup myself, and where issues like setting up FTP services or dealing with configuration issues is handled by the host. The main requirements are that it has
1. ~100% uptime (everything is mission critical)
2. Managed backups / restore if need be
3. Will be pushing a lot of large graphic files with many connections. Need a lot of pipe.
4. Will have heavy use of FTP, with lots of connections and transfer.
5. Monthly usage will range between 500gb and 1500gb / month at this time.
6. Light script requirements (form mail, some http image transfer, etc)
7. 24x7 tech support (not just someone that advertises it, but a company that can actually solve problems 24x7)
8. Price point needs to be reasonable.
9. Needs to be a decent sized company with a history / reputation of quality services.
I'm using godaddy.com dedicated servers now but the performance is mediocre and while you can always get someone on the phone, nobody knows how to help you with anything. If something isnt working, I need to be able to get someone on the phone at any time to fix any problem (hardware or config/OS), even if there is a charge for it. I've looked into Verio but since their sales people never called me back, thats not a great sign.
I'd like to get 4 or 5 options (or more) to investigate, I'll split the points for what looks like the best few.