Wifi to Ethernet??

Posted on 2005-03-29
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-24
Hey guys...

Just wondering... Is there any way to convert a Wifi signal into ethernet somehow? I have a Wifi router which feeds 3-5 computers at the same time. I am a computer tech, and I have a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor on my desk to plug in customers' computers, however, I would like to be able to get internet access to that terminal using ethernet (I would hate to go through the process of installing a Wifi adapter on my customers' computers every time). Is there any way to do this? (BTW, I'm not near the router, so cabling is not an option).

Thanks a lot,

Question by:oLvErA
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 96

Expert Comment

by:Lee W, MVP
ID: 13656333
Your question makes no sense to me.  Wifi is Wireless Ethernet.  How else would you get network connectivity to something WITHOUT wireless if you're not going to connect a cable?

Author Comment

ID: 13656446
Sorry if I wasn't clear...I'm so busy I didn't even review my post.

What I need is this:

The cable modem goes to the WiFi router, then I need something to convert the wireless signal back to wired, to a standard Cat5 Ethernet port
LVL 96

Expert Comment

by:Lee W, MVP
ID: 13656462
Ok, yes, that's more clear.  You need a wireless bridge.  I'm sure others have them, but I've only seen them from DLink and Linksys.
Prepare for your VMware VCP6-DCV exam.

Josh Coen and Jason Langer have prepared the latest edition of VCP study guide. Both authors have been working in the IT field for more than a decade, and both hold VMware certifications. This 163-page guide covers all 10 of the exam blueprint sections.

LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 13656466
You seem to be talking about putting a wireless bridge in place, that in turn provides ethernet to the PC.  These are also known as workgroup bridges.
LVL 96

Accepted Solution

Lee W, MVP earned 1000 total points
ID: 13656516

Author Comment

ID: 13656548
Thanks a lot!

Featured Post

What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

When it comes to security, there are always trade-offs between security and convenience/ease of administration. This article examines some of the main pros and cons of using key authentication vs password authentication for hosting an SFTP server.
When you try to share a printer , you may receive one of the following error messages. Error message when you use the Add Printer Wizard to share a printer: Windows could not share your printer. Operation could not be completed (Error 0x000006…
Get a first impression of how PRTG looks and learn how it works.   This video is a short introduction to PRTG, as an initial overview or as a quick start for new PRTG users.
Here's a very brief overview of the methods PRTG Network Monitor (https://www.paessler.com/prtg) offers for monitoring bandwidth, to help you decide which methods you´d like to investigate in more detail.  The methods are covered in more detail in o…
Suggested Courses

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question