SBS 4.5 Exchange 5.5 Corrupted Priv.edb

Posted on 2005-04-01
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2011-09-20
Ok.  I was at a new client site yesterday for a problem that started out as "we can't get any email from the outside world."  No problem.

I come in, and find that the server is being hammered with Spam.  30k messages in the outbound queue, 45 in the inbound.  It is pegged.  I stopped the mail transfer service, installed an anti-spam product (X-Wall), cleaned out the queues by changing the delivery options in the exchange administrator to "none" so I could flush the queues , and then rebooted the server.

The antivirus software (Symantec) hung up upon rebooting.  2 mirrored sets were broken after the reboot, the information store service would not start, and responded with "....service specific error 4294966278" when I tried to start the service.

The only file that did NOT back up this YEAR is priv.edb.  So, restoration is not an option.  I tried running eseutil /d and I get error -1018.  So, I've copied the priv.edb and pub.edb to a different drive.  I tried running (on the new copy) eseutil /d "g:\pathname\priv.edb" and I get an error -550.

Next I run the eseutil /p "\path\priv.edb" and it's actually running.  Next I'll do the same on the pub.edb.  (Private store is 2GB, pub is 60MB) So, now that I've moved the priv.edb and pub.edb to new drives...how do I get exchange to recognize the new locations?  Of course trying to tell it through the exchange administrator doesn't work, as the mail store service is not running.  Is it possible that after the database and log files are repaired, for me to move it back to the original drive/directory?

I appreciate any assistance in getting this beast up and running again.  They ordered a new server just before this happened, and I'll be changing them over to 2003 within the next two weeks.  

Question by:cjmilliman123
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 27

Accepted Solution

Exchange_Admin earned 2000 total points
ID: 13683535
After running the utility do the following:
1. Rename the MDBDATA folders on all drives of the Exchange server to MDBDATA.OLD.
2. Create a new MDBDATA folder wherever you renamed one.
3. Copy the repaired databases into the appropriate MDBDATA folder.
4. Start the Information Store service. You will probably get a -1011 error.
If so open a command prompt, change to the EXCHSRVR\BIN folder and run the following:

It is good practice to run ISINTEG -FIX against the databases after running ESEUTIL /P.
You will need to do this with the databases in the original location. In other words after step 3 above.

Author Comment

ID: 13683638
I just got it going before reading over your message.  I did miss the isinteg -fix...thanks for that info!

:o)  I can go home!


Featured Post

Office 365 Training for IT Pros

Learn how to provision tenants, synchronize on-premise Active Directory, implement Single Sign-On, customize Office deployment, and protect your organization with eDiscovery and DLP policies.  Only from Platform Scholar.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Lotus Notes – formerly IBM Notes – is an email client application, while IBM Domino (earlier Lotus Domino) is an email server. The client possesses a set of features that are even more advanced as compared to that of Outlook. Likewise, IBM Domino is…
Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Suggested Courses

765 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question