How to configure Cisco 804 for Skype VOIP
Posted on 2005-04-03
I'm trying to configure my Cisco 804 running IOS 12.1(3)XG4 to support Skype (VOIP). I am not a router jock.
Skype docs indicate that I need to, in order of preference:
1. open up outgoing UDP traffic to all ports above 1024 and allow UDP replies to come back, or
2. open outgoing TCP access to ports 80 and 443
1. I don't know what changes to make in the config file to do this
2. The first option sounds like a bad idea in terms of security
3. Even if I knew how, it seems to me that either option opens substantial security risks unless I also use a software firewall to limit access to these ports to Skype only. This defeats part of my purpose in getting a router for a hardware firewall.
Does anyone know a way to support Skype for full utilization but in a secure way? Anyone have a working config for Skype that will support this IOS version? Advice on how to do this without compromising security?
Many thanks in advance.
P.S. Can anyone point me to a realtively simple, basic reference on configuration files for this generation of IOS? I'd like to do more but I simply am not understanding the configuration language. Thanks.