We changed our company name, and thus our domainname (newdomain.com) as well. We still have the old name (olddomain.com), and it is still the name of our Active Directory. Both domain names point to the same machine / server / website. If I open a test page (/test.html) via the old domain name, it takes about 0.2 second to respond. If I open the same page using the new domain name, it takes about 2 seconds longer. (I've created a simple testpage on an external website that calls an include from our site and measures the difference in response time between both URLs. This is repeated several times to see if it's consistent, which it is.)
If I open the DNS (Windows 2000 Server), I see a Forward Lookup Zone, and a Reverse Lookup Zone. The Reverse Loopup Zone has one subnet, with a WINS reverse lookup for the olddomain, and an alias for the newdomain.
The Forward Lookup Zone has two zones defined for both domain names. In the old zone, I see all machines that are connected to the network, plus the name servers, Start of authority, www (as host), WINS. Furthermore, I see four folders (_msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp).
The new domain zone didn't have the same properties at first. I changed those to match the old zone, but that didn't have any effect. It had name servers, SOA, WINS and www (as alias). I removed that last alias (www) and replaced it with a host. I linked this host directly to the ip-address of the webserver.
The result of the change is that www.newdomain.com
is as fast as www.olddomain.com
or olddomain.com. Still, newdomain.com is slow. I would like to have newdomain.com as fast as the others. Furthermore, I wonder if this is the right way to do this. If in the future I move the webserver to another machine with a different ip, this host won't update by itself I suppose.