I have ARCserve 9.0 (Build 2040) installed on my server. I also have a Compaq 35/70 DLT Library (Which appears to be a Compaq branded HP C5173-7000). I'm pretty certain the library works as intended. It passes all the self-diagnostics, and ARCServe will even back up to the drive. I went through the Device Configuration utililty in ARCServe and set up the library. I made 7 Device Groups within ARCServe. The Device Groups are set up basically for 2 slots for each day of the week, and the 15th slot has a cleaning tape. When I tried to initiate a backup, ARCserve started backing up to the 1st tape in the group....then after it got to 72% of the job, it asked me to insert another tape. I had been under the impression that ARCserve with the Tape Library Option installed (which I do have) should auto-span.
I searched through EE and found a PAQ that said I should go into Windows Device Manager and disable the library and the tape drive in the library, then go back through the ARCserve device configuration and set the library up again. I did this, and I do not get any change in what happens. At 72% of my back up job, a message appears on the console asking for another tape.
This is getting very frustrating, especially since my server is no longer getting good backups. I have a LOT of customer data on this system, and I really need to get a backup solution going that doesn't require a manual intervention every morning... I thought that was the point of libraries....