Programs freezes when trying to connect remotely to Firebird from an delphi 7 midas-application
Posted on 2005-04-06
I build an midas application with Delphi 7 using some of the included interbase components which are IBTransaction, IBDatabase, IBTable and IBQuery. As a database I'm using FireBird. To communicate the one with the other I use the following Delphi's Data Acces components, ClientDataSet, the DataSetProvider and the DataSource all of the Data Acces tab.
Running the application locally works fine, but if I put the database elsewhere in the network (active directory), running the application will freeze everything on the 'db-machine'/server.
I made a form for the application server to tell me the amount of current connections to the application server. If I start the client application on the 'db-machine' and then the one on the client the amount will be shown correctly, so it connects to the application server, but only when I have first started the client application on the 'db-machine' otherwise it won't it will say that the database is unavailable. In all sircunstances it is not opening the client application for work, it won't pass trough the application's login-form.
Note: I'm using a Delphi version which is not registered and FireBird can it be that my issue has to do with licencing?
I took the following steps in order to get the whole thing running:
1. Installed the FireBird server on the 'db-machine'
2. Using IBAdmin4 I configured the server for tcp/ip and created the user to be owner of the db and the created the database
3. Made an ini file containing the database_path and servername('db-machine') in c:\windows\system32
4. Ran the application server (app serv and db serv on the same machine) to register the dcom
5. gain user access to the app server using dcomcnfg
B) Client machine:
1. client exe thogether with it's ini file (connection=dcom and host=db-machine)
2. Copied the midas.dll to the c:\windows\system32 and register it
I think I made all the correct steps, please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is very urgent due to the fact that I'm in the delivery stadium.....
I hope someone can help me solve this issue I will appreciate it very much, thanks.