[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


OWA "loading" after login - returns to auth prompt

Posted on 2005-04-07
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2008-02-01
I'll be as specific as possible on this as I've spent hours researching it and have come up dry with every MS Article and forum suggestion I've found:.

Clients running MS XP or 2k in IE (all versions are 6.0) are able to login to OWA but get nothing other than "Loading..." in all the reading panes.  After several minutes the login prompt reappears.  This *only* happens at *one* particular site (not a VPN site) and it happens to everyone at that site.   Other reports of this issue are random and inconsistent.  I cannot recreate this issue with any system I have touched personally.
--- Note:  There are absolutely no event logs on either the server or client.

Server:  MS Server 2003 (SE) (all updates applied) / Exchange 2003 / IIS 6.0 (single server exchange (no BE servers).
             No 'lockdown tool' or 'urlscan' is loaded (tho not relevant to 2k3, people keep asking me that)
Clients:  WinXp/2k - IE 5.0-6.0 (all updates applied) (mixed sp1 & 2)

Steps taken thus far:
1) http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280823 (no related subarticles are relavent)
2) http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831464 (no related subarticles are relavent)
3) Spoke with Network Admin for that site who swears up and down there is no proxy server anywhere on their network.
4) Added OWA address to 'trusted sites'
5) All iis directory perms are set properly.

Note:  I *can* login to OWA using the same credentials from another external (non-vpn) site.

This really seems like something on the property network backbone but I can't think of what would/could cause it.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions,

Question by:accit

Author Comment

ID: 13775658

-- Issue resolved.

'client network' is running an 'application aware' firewall which was snubbing WebDAV.  Setup OWA for SSL and connected via https.  This successfully got past the firewalls WebDAV blocking.


Accepted Solution

EE_AutoDeleter earned 0 total points
ID: 14877874
Because you have presented a solution to your own problem which may be helpful to future searches, this question is now PAQed and your points have been refunded.


Featured Post

What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Scenerio: You have a server running Server 2003 and have applied a retail pack of Terminal Server Licenses.  You want to change servers or your server has crashed and you need to reapply the Terminal Server Licenses. When you enter the 16-digit lic…
A quick step-by-step overview of installing and configuring Carbonite Server Backup.
Please read the paragraph below before following the instructions in the video — there are important caveats in the paragraph that I did not mention in the video. If your PaperPort 12 or PaperPort 14 is failing to start, or crashing, or hanging, …
Whether it be Exchange Server Crash Issues, Dirty Shutdown Errors or Failed to mount error, Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery has always got your back. With the help of its easy to understand user interface and 3 simple steps recovery proced…

829 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question