I have this special requirement. Using an existing PHP script, a user select a variable number of files for editing, the best presentation depends a lot according to the number of files selected.
1) build a HTML frameset according to this number (from 2 to 6 frames, frames are not used for other numbers)
2) display in each frame the contents of one selected file (filenames are held in variables in script mentioned above)
3) present these contents in "textarea" for editing and then save if changed
I can probably adapt your solution script to fit the "frameset" but if you need to know, the division of the screen is as follows:
- one bottom line kept for navigation in all cases
- rest of screen divided in 2 columns for 2 files or 3 rows for 3 files or 2rows of 2 columns for 4 files or 2 rows of 3 columns for 5 and 6 files
(If of any use, I have these framesets in working HTML files as 2frams.htm, 3frams.htm, 4frams.htm and 6frams.htm)
Thank you for your help.