Hi guys, does it exist a PHP script that will notify me if a URL has changed (updated, modified) like the following:
given a list of links of websites I'm interested to follow and see the changes/updates, in example:
The list could be in a .txt file, or in a simple mysql db...
The script should to the following
1) list these links, so that I can click them
2) download the links (like if you open the link with your browser and "Save Page As..." > "Web Page, HTML only" but the PHP script should save it)
3) modify the filename, including e.g. the date and time in it. In example it the link is
it could save it as community.vugames.com_WebX
(the link name should be converted in a way that it works under linux, so the slashes could be converted in underscores and the “http:”
could be removed…)
4) compare the last saved version with the version saved before (that's why having a date and time in the file is useful)
I don't know the perfect way of comparing to be able to say if a URL has been updated or not, but if it's a site without banners (or at least with a fixed tag like banner.gif, where the banner.gif rotates, but the html looks always the same) i think that comparing the file size is enough...
What I want to achieve is to see in a forum (a forum that has no auto-notification via e-mail) if new replies have been added to the thread, or if they have been modified by the authors...
5) if the 2 pages are different, the script should notify me, e.g. including a warning or icon near the link
6) an ideal thing would be to have an "history" link and see when the pages have been updated, so that if i accidentally click "refresh" 2 times I don't lose this information
7) the perfect thing would be that if there are updates there will be an added link that if I click I see what are the changes (like the output of the “diff” command under linux, something simple should be enough)
Do you know if there is already such a script elsewhere in the open source world?
If not, can you script the simplest solution to do what I mentioned above?
Thanks a bunch, 500 points if you do this ;)