Server licences

Posted on 2005-04-20
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-04-18
I am upgrading from a Windows 2000 server to a 2003 server and was wondering about my current licences.  Will they all be moved over when I do the upgrade or to I have to get more added on my 2003 copy?  It comes with 25 but do I need to purchase more or will the old version cover it?  
Question by:oldskool75
  • 5
  • 3
LVL 15

Accepted Solution

scampgb earned 1000 total points
ID: 13826988
Hi oldskool75,
Now there's a tricky question, for which we'll need more information!

Are you talking about client access licences (CALs)?
You will need the same version CAL as the OS of the machine you're connected to.

If your users are connecting to a Win2003 server, you would need an appropriate number of CALs for that version.

You said that it comes with 25 - I assume that you mean per-server CALs here?

So that I can advise more appropriately, can you please let us know:
How many users will be accessing this Win2003 server?
Do you use per-server, per-seat or per-device licencing?
What licences (and versions) do you currently have?

You can find details of Microsoft's licencing rules for Win2003 server at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/default.mspx
The bit about CALs is at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/caloverview.mspx

Also, if you bought your existing licences with Software Assurance then we'll need to know if/when that agreement expired.

Author Comment

ID: 13827414
Hey there yes I was talking about CAL's  I have 3 2003 servers that where built on before I me and I want to upgrade our Domain Controllers which is a 2000 Server.  As for the aount of users accessing the DC it depends, we have other servers that people use such as a file server, database server, and a web server where the licesnses would be split.  As far as for my AD I have around 50 users and around 10 bulit in users(Windows).  We just bought the copy 2003 server and I asked if my purchasing manager got extra licensing, he said no.  So here I am...  I currently have a per server License of 280 and an exchange 2003 per seat License of 45.
LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 13829085
Sorry, I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding which licences you've got where.

If you just want to upgrade your DC to Server 2003, you have 25 per-server CALs for it, and you won't have more than 25 concurrent connections, then you're absolutely fine.

However, you mentioned that you have 280 per-server licences?  Are these Win2000 CALs for the DC that you plan to upgrade?  Will you be having more than 25 concurrent users on the DC?
Visualize your virtual and backup environments

Create well-organized and polished visualizations of your virtual and backup environments when planning VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Veeam deployments. It helps you to gain better visibility and valuable business insights.


Author Comment

ID: 13830086
Ok I always never really understood the concurrent license thing...  My users will only need to acces the DC for IP's(DHCP) and email.  I hope that answers your question.  As for the 280 per-server licenses I got that number from the Licensing manager under admin tools.  Oh and yes these CAL's will be for the DC I am upgrading.
LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 13833213
If you're accessing the DC for email, then you'll need Server CALs for it.

As for which licences you've got, you'll need to dig out the appropriate paperwork and find out exactly what CALs you have bought.
Licence Manager can be very trusting, and that isn't necesarily what you're legally licenced to use.

Once you know exactly what licences you've got, it's fairly easy to work out what you need.

If you have 280 per server, per user or per device Server 2000 CALs at present, then you'll need to upgrade them if these 280 user/devices/connections will be connecting to the upgraded server

Concurrent licences are the number of connections that can be made to that specific server at once.


Author Comment

ID: 13833345
Thanks for your help Scampgb!  One more question.  wouldn't my exchange Licenses cover my tail regarding CAL's on the Server?  If not then I find it redundant that I would have to require both.  
LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 13836106
Nope - Exchange licences are seperate to Server licences.

You need to have a Server CAL to access services on the server, and an Exchange CAL for Exchange itself.
See http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/howtobuy/medium.mspx for more details.

LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 13858832
Glad I could help :-)

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Learn about cloud computing and its benefits for small business owners.
This article provides a convenient collection of links to Microsoft provided Security Patches for operating systems that have reached their End of Life support cycle. Included operating systems covered by this article are Windows XP,  Windows Server…
Look below the covers at a subform control , and the form that is inside it. Explore properties and see how easy it is to aggregate, get statistics, and synchronize results for your data. A Microsoft Access subform is used to show relevant calcul…
Is your OST file inaccessible, Need to transfer OST file from one computer to another? Want to convert OST file to PST? If the answer to any of the above question is yes, then look no further. With the help of Stellar OST to PST Converter, you can e…

840 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question