first has bitdefenderx/msdirectx and now i have i-worm bofra
Posted on 2005-04-20
Had a real nasty-msdirectx/collected.5.L/( IPOT bitdefenderx according to HJT) according to AVG. It took me a while, about a week, but i think its gone.
What i did to finally get rid of it, after several other attempts, was:
- turned off system restore
- made all hidden files viewable
- booted in safe mode with networking
- completed install of ZoneAlarm - this would not startup in normal mode due to virus interference. kept getting vector failures. now its OK
- ran online trendmicro system scan - it detected 4 viruses and fixed
- updated and ran spybot 1.3 - found 5 bad entries and cleaned
- update and ran adaware SE - was clean
- ran ccleaner - deleted all temp files etc...
- ran HijackThis - deleted 4 entries for IPOT bitdefenderx and compaq.exe. these are the ones that kept coming back for a week.
- reran HijackThis - no bad entries! it been good for several days
- rebooted normal
- ran hijackthis - no bad entries
- ran AVG and it was clean
- left PC on and ran a scheduled overnight AVG antivirus - it came up with this bofra i-worm. deleted file
- ran AVG - it was clean
- ran HijackThis - it was clean
- left PC on for few days except for some restarts
- ran another AVG virus scan - same i-worm is back
PC seems to be running fine! but AVG seems to find i-worm everyday(run 2 scans day since this started and it finds i-worm around every other full scan)! did above all over again but AVG still reports this virus after a while.