Confused about video formats and codecs: WMV, AVI, MPG, MOV
Posted on 2005-04-22
I'm quite confused with different terms in digital video. (50 points each)
1. When I capture video from digital videocamera to editing program (such as premiere) is it MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or what? I know that much that MPEG-2 is for Video-DVD:s.
2. Is MPEG the only "real digital" videoformat and WMV, AVI, MOV etc. are different methods to compress video even more?
3. DivX is hacked from wmv-codec and the XviD is the free version? What are the main differences to wmv-codec?
4. If I compress video with Divx or XviD codec does the file always have the same extension? Why, if it doesn't?
5. Often when I try to read about these things I see the term "container". What is a container?
6. Anything else I should know about basic things in digital videoformats?