"You do not have access to this Session"
Posted on 2005-04-24
I have an issue that has been on my network since I believe XP SP2. My issue is with Remote Desktop and my XP Clients. When a PC comes off of a reboot, I am able to log on to that client with a standard user's account. Everything works fine. However, when that user logs off and then trys to log back on, I get the follow message: "You do not have access to logon to this Session". The same thing holds true on all standard users who trys to log on after a remote desktop session. The only exeption to this is administrators to the domain or local machine. This is what I have concluded thus far:
1) The issue is not domain related. There are a few clients that have the same domain group policies but work fine.
2) The issue is not security related. This is because the user is granted permission to log on after reboot
3) The issue is not the calling PC. This is beacuse I am able to access other XP clients without the same issues.
3) The issue is most likely PC Specific: Users who are receive this message are permitted to log on multiple times on other XP Clients.
4) This issue is most likely Win Update Related: All client's behaved well up until SP2 (I believe) and may of had a bad install. (15 of 19 XP clients affected).
5) Ths issue is most likely stem to client not releasing completely from remote desktop session. This would somewhat explain why an admin can log on (just like an over-ride when client is in "Lock Computer" mode), and other users can not.
6) All users discuss have the following GP applied: Access this computer from network, Allow log on through Terminal Services, Allow log on locally.
I have done a great deal of work on this and need anyones help. My hope is that someone else has come across this same issue and knows the fix. Although this is not a mission critical issue, it is a pain in the rear. One last note, this same issue applies to interactive sessions in TS Manager. Whereas, the admin may be able to log on to another user's session for support without Users permission the first time. However, any subsequent requests requires user's permission. Thank you in advance for your assistance