I recently brought up a new windows 2000 server, created 2 mirrors, one of 2-200GB disks (different make and model) and one of 2 identical Maxtor 98196H8 80 GB drives. the 200 GB drives are the masters on the IDE bus, one on each channel. The 80 gig drives are the slaves. This system has an old Jabil Kadoka (Early Gateway AMD system) Mobo, so I had to install Data Lifeguard tools to see the 200 GB drives. Similarly, I had to use MaxBlast 4 to set up the Maxtor drives (all drives were set up as extra storage) My boot drive is an IBM DCHS 4.5 GB SCSI drive. The bios (latest version) is set to autodetect all 4 IDE drives. They are all working, but the primary slave (part of the 80 GB mirror) only reads about 3-5 MB/sec with very high (something like 90 percent) CPU usage under HDTach, while the Secondary slave reads about 25-30MB/sec, with much lower (15% or so) CPU utilization.
I was having some problems setting up the slave mirror, which i thought i had traced to cable problems. I decided to try those newfangled round cables. I guess you can't twist them around too much, or crosstalk starts to be a problem. When I tried to initialize the slave mirror, it would totally remove the primary IDE channel from "sight" of the system. I could sometimes get the drives to reappear by "scan for hardware changes" but ended up trying a tried-and-true ribbon cable in place of the round one. I thought all was well when the mirror started to form properly. Now it's up and running, but the read speed (i haven't registered HDTach, so I don't have write-test capabilities, and the other benchmark programs are a little too complicated for my aesthetic taste.) and i presume, the write speed are terrible on this drive.