I'm new - Need help setting up a database please.
Posted on 2005-04-25
Databases are very much not my area of expertise... But my program now needs the speed of MSDE. Access isn't cutting it!
I'm going to provide you with all the information I can think of regarding the database I'm creating.
Please help me create a very fast database... I'm really looking forward to getting this database nailed down so that I can start working on more interesting parts of the project!
Information about Database:
- I'll be connecting to the database via VB.NET code
- 1 connection will be used only
- Thousands of queries per second (I need speeeed. Database is my bottleneck!)
- Each query will return around 5000 records
- 1 Table
- Symbol: Text (max 6 chars)
- Date: Date
- Price: float
- Change: float
- Volume: int
a "visual" for the database setup
INTC 06/07/95 20.0 1.0 1200000
INTC 06/08/95 20.1 0.1 1234325
INTC 06/09/95 20.2 0.1 1123444
MSFT 06/07/95 3.0 0.2 1234555
MSFT 06/08/95 3.0 0.0 1234444
MSFT 06/09/95 3.0 0.0 3433344
My high speed database will have approximately 365,000 rows of this data.
How often do I need to write to this database?
- VERY SELDOM - Only during database creation or very seldom database updates (perhaps once weekly)
- Select ALL from Table where Date = "06/07/95"
- Select All from Table where Symbol = "INTC" AND Date = "06/07/95"
- Select ALL from Table where Symbol = "YHOO"
- Select ALL unique Symbols from Table
NOTE: I expect these quieries to return around 5000 results a piece, and I expect to do these queries hundreds of times per second.
I mainly need help setting up the database so that it will have high performance with the above queries.
Indexing is obviously a big concern of mine.
Thanks a lot for the help!