Problem Mapping Drives to DFS shares over VPN
Posted on 2005-04-25
I have seem be having a problem with accessing network services via a VPN connection to my Win2k3 network.
When my users (using WinXP Pro SP2) make a VPN connection to the network they have problems mapping drives to the DFS folders.
For Example, if they map a to the DFS root (\\Domain\DFSRoot) they cannot connect. But if they map the drive to the full path (\\Server\Share) it works fine.
I have tried tracking down the problem:
1. Ensure Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP - OK
2. Ensure “Enable LMHOSTS Lookup” is checked and LMHOST is correct - OK
3. Ping PDC and BDC with NetBios Name - OK
4. Ping other servers not listed in LMHOST with NetBIOS Name - OK
5. netdiag.exe, however every time I ran it the problem disappeared till the next logon…
6. dfsutil.exe, this seems to point out that the computer has not synchronised with the network, so if I wait for about 5 to 10 min after connection via the VPN and then try and map the drive everything works…
Can anyone help me? Is there a way to force the sync to happen earlier? Or with the command line?